I hope you are enjoying the summer weather and the return to comparative normality – long may it last!
I wanted to let you know about a new podcast episode that has just been released. It is entitled “Brexit (and more…)”, so will be of particular interest to UK nationals residing or considering taking residency in Italy, but it also explores quite a few topics that will be more generally applicable.
As it’s quite a long episode, I thought it would be helpful to give you an index of topics covered and the approximate minute markers so that you can easily locate the sections that are of interest to you.
- 1:28 – Working with a UK financial adviser as an Italian resident
- 8:55 – Equivalency in financial services between UK and EU
- 12:57 – Taxation of EU-domiciled managed funds vs UK-domiciled managed funds post-Brexit for Italian residents
- 15:50 – Tax declarations in Italy for directly-held foreign financial investments
- 18:15 – The €51,645.69 question – holding foreign currencies as an Italian resident
- 21:38 – ISAs – what they mean in Italy
- 23:42 – Quadro RW – why you need to declare the mere existence of your foreign assets (as well the income that derives from them). Common Reporting Standards and why you should assume that information is being exchanged automatically with the Italian tax authorities
- 25:20 – The taxation of UK real estate as an Italian resident (rental income and wealth tax (from 28:20))
- 33:00 – Thinking about real estate investments once you move to Italy
- 35:15 – Capital gains tax on foreign property (with particular comment on the situation for UK property owners who are non-resident in the UK)
- 38:15 – Tax-efficient investment wrappers – what they can do and how they need to be set up. Some comment on inheritance taxes in Italy
- 43:44 – The 7% pensioners’ tax regime
- 50:10 – Italy vs Italia – and why you should persevere if you want to move here